About.me is a personal web hosting service co-founded by Ryan Freitas, Tony Conrad and Tim Young in October 2009.
About.me is a simple personal website platform that lets you create a simple page to point users to your content and social media links.
For the sake of sticking to simplicity, About.me sites generally include a background photo, an optional thumbnail profile photo, a description and some links to social media or other websites.
There are now also a range of templates available so you can customise the look of your page to fit with your personal style and brand.
Compared to other website builders and blog building tools like Blogger, WordPress.com and Tumblr offer a complete platform to build upon, including the ability to host several web pages, write blog posts and feature widgets.
About.me provides you with just one single page to display all your links and a summary of yourself. This makes it more of a CV than a website. In fact, the business sells itself as providing customers with a web page as a business card.
Table of Contents
Why use About.me?
Your About.me becomes your virtual online business card. Put the URL to your site in your Twitter profile, share it on Facebook or add it to your LinkedIn as a website.
If you don’t have your own personal website, you can point colleagues, clients, and prospects to your About.me page so they can find out more about you and connect with you.
About.me is also great for getting discovered within the network itself. You can browse other About.me profiles and connect with those users if you want by starring their profiles, email them or even by leaving a comment. This makes it a useful way to expand your network.
Key features of About.me
- Background photo: Your background photo is the overall visual design of your page. You can scale it so it stretches over the full page, size it and position it anywhere you want or use a photo from the About.me gallery.
- Biography information: Your page has a headline (typically your name), a subheading, and an area of text to write something about yourself or your business. State clearly what you do to help catch potential customers.
- Colour customization: Customise the colours for your page, bio box, as well as the text of your headings, biography, and links. You can also customize the opacity of your colours.
- Fonts: Choose from popular and funky fonts to contribute to the appearance of your headlines and text.
- Services: Add your social profiles. These are displayed as icons with links. You can add your Facebook profile, your Facebook page, Twitter, LinkedIn, GooglePlus, Tumblr, WordPress, Blogger, Instagram, Flickr, TypePad, YouTube, Vimeo, Github and many more.
- Contact: You can optionally provide a way for viewers to contact you.
- Profile statistics: On the dashboard, you can view how many views your site gets and when those viewed occurred.
- Email signature integration: About.me makes it easy for you to provide a link to your page in your email signature for a wide range of specific email providers.
- Tags: Under “Account Settings” you can submit keywords that describe you, your business or anything else.