Your time is valuable. We both know this. Rather than spending hours searching around the internet for the right information, you could be expanding your business and creating new ideas. To save you this time, and hassle, I have put together an Ultimate Social Media Cheat Sheet.
All the graphics were produced using Canva. Without it, I would have taken twice as long. Although I use Photoshop, Canva has an incredible library of stock photos and design templates.
Using Canva you can design for any size of social media image you want.
If you are reading this post, you probably use social media a lot. Correct? If so, then you will be aware of how often social media sites change their image dimensions. This can be a headache.
Luckily for you, this image size cheat sheet has all the information you need to make the perfect posts.
What are you waiting for? Scroll down now to find the hidden treasures.
You will find below the essential, optimal and updated social media sizes, as of January 1, 2020.
At the bottom of the page you will find an infographic of all the image sizes you need in one image.
What’s more, I have listed ALL the essential sizes for Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, AND YouTube on the infographic. You can use these to create blog posts that are armed and ready for social posting.
If you’re interested in finding which platform is the most popular to get some demographic data you can visit these posts: social media statistics and social media sites.
Table of Contents
Social Media Cheat Sheet with all Social Media Image Sizes 2020
Social Media Image Sizes 2020 – What Matters?
Some social media platforms are way more image-heavy than others.
With this in mind, it’s good to know what the common sizes are so you can create a more efficient workflow. Why create two images when you can use one for multiple platforms?
Best Image Sizes For Social Media Posts
1200 pixels square is ideal for Facebook and Instagram posts. This social media image size looks good on Google+ and LinkedIn posts and even Twitter.
As with most images you produce, you want to keep the main communication in the centre of the image.
Another reason for this is that any cropping or changes to the image sizes will still leave them looking good.
Using Square Images
Squares can be used on Pinterest, but aren’t the recommended aspect ratio of 2:3. However, many people use them and they seem to fair well.
If Pinterest is your main platform, then try the 2:3 aspect ratio. You will also then be able to use images on Facebook.
Want to cover both Instagram and Pinterest? Then try a 4:5 aspect ratio. Note that it’ll still be cropped to a square on Instagram.
What Social Image Size Works Best for Links
Facebook, Twitter and Linkedin are all recommending 1200 x 628 pixels, which is 1.91:1 aspect ratio. So you should use this image size across all your blog posts and pages.
How To Quickly Create The Perfect Images For Social Media
One of the easiest and quickest way to create social media image sizes is to one of the many image creation and editing platforms.
You could use a free online photo editor like pixlr.com. Alternatively, you can use an online image creator that has lots of sizes already set up for you!
My favourite is Canva, but you can also use Stencil.
Both have a free option and a free trial. The paid plans have an amazing Instant Resize feature, so you can make perfectly-sized images for every network! Watch it on Stencil above.
The Complete List Of Social Media Images Sizes By Platform
Facebook image sizes 2020
Although the Page templates vary for business type, the image sizes are all the same (so far!).
The recommended aspect ratio for all Facebook cover photos is 16:9.
However, whilst this looks ideal on mobile, the Desktop version will be slightly cropped. As a result, you need to your important text, or other main image feature, in the centre.
Your choices then are: 1200 x 675, 1640 x 923, or 1920 x 1080.
For the best results, use the largest possible size you can – as long as the aspect ratio is the same Facebook will generally, downsize the image to fit. This ensures you get the best image for your brand.
Remember that now you can also use videos, 20-90 seconds long. Note that the video needs to be a minimum of should be at least 820 x 312 pixels. This is a step-change in terms of how creative you can get with Facebook. Try it!
Facebook Image Guidelines
- Must be at least 180 x 180 pixels.
- The image will appear on page as 170 x 170 pixels on desktop, 128 x 128 on smartphones, and 36 x 36 on most feature phones.
- Profile pictures are located 16 pixels from the left and 176 pixels from the top of your cover photo on desktop.
- Profile pictures are located 24 pixels from the left, 24 pixels from the bottom and 196 pixels from the top of your cover photo on smartphones.
- Photo thumbnail will appear throughout Facebook at 32 x 32 pixels.
- Appear on page at 820 x 312 pixels. Anything less will be stretched.
- Minimum size of 400 x 150 pixels.
- Displays at 820 x 312 pixels on desktop and 640 x 360 pixels on smartphones.
- Doesn’t display on feature phones.
- For best results, upload an sRGB JPG file less than 100 KB.
- Images with a logo or text may be best as a PNG file.
- Business Page dimensions are exactly the same as personal accounts.
Shared Image: 1200 * 630
- Recommended upload size of 1,200 x 630 pixels.
- Will appear in feed at a max width of 470 pixels (will scale to a max of 1:1).
- Will appear on page at a max width of 504 pixels (will scale to a max of 1:1).
Shared Link: 1200 * 628
- Recommended upload size of 1,200 x 628 pixels.
- Square Photo: Minimum 154 x 154px in feed.
- Square Photo: Minimum 116 x 116 on page.
- Rectangular Photo: Minimum 470 x 246 pixels in feed.
- Rectangular Photo: Minimum 484 x 252 on page.
- Facebook will scale photos under the minimum dimensions. For better results, increase image resolution at the same scale as the minimum size.
- Will appear on your page at 843 x 504 pixels.
- Choose a higher resolution at that scale for better quality.
- Facebook will scale down to minimum dimensions: 470 × 174.
- Shows in feed: 470 × 174.
For a visual image of the Facebook image sizes, see the full infographic below.
Facebook social media cheat sheet infographic
Pin the Facebook image sizes cheat sheet, and read on.
Facebook social media images TABLE
|FACEBOOK IMAGE||DIMENSIONS||MINIMUM DIMENSIONS||IMAGE SCALE|
|Profile Photo||180 * 180||160 * 160||1:1|
|Cover Photo||830 * 312||400 * 150||2.7:1|
|Shared Image (Timeline)||1200 * 630||1.91:1|
|Shared Image (Newsfeed)||1200 * 630||1.91:1|
|Shared Link (Timeline)||1200 * 628||200 * 200||1.91:1|
|Shared Link (Newsfeed)||1200 * 628||200 * 200||1.91:1|
|Highlighted Image||1200 * 717||843 * 504||1.67:1|
|Event Image||1920 * 1080||470 * 174||16:9|
Linkedin Page image sizes 2020
The new recommended size is 1584 wide by 396 high. This is exactly 4:1 proportion.
You can also crop, filter, and adjust your photo after you upload it to LinkedIn.
Tips from LinkedIn:
If your background image appears blurry or pixelated, then create an image with a large size as close to the maximum (8 MB) as possible. Moreover, use an image in PNG format, these tend to have less pixelation.
LinkedIn image sizes: Max file size 8MB and file type must be PNG, JPEG, or GIF.
See the recommended image sizes as suggested by Linkedin.
Linkedin Image Guidelines
Profile Image: 400 * 400
- Recommended between 400 x 400 and 20,000 x 20,000 pixels
- Minimum 200 x 200 pixels
- Maximum file size 10MB.
- Image types includeL JPG, GIF or PNG.
Personal Background Image: 1584 x 396
- Recommended 1584 x 396 pixels.
- Maximum size of 4MB.
- Image types include: JPG, PNG or GIF.
Company Logo Image: 300 * 300
- Recommended 300 x 300 pixels.
- Minimum 300 x 300 pixels.
- Maximum 4MB (Square layout).
- Image types include: PNG, JPG or GIF.
Square Logo: 60 x 60
- 60 x 60 pixels (resized to fit).
- Maximum 2MB.
- Image types include: PNG, JPG or GIF.
Company Cover Size
- Recommended between 1536 x 768 pixels.
- Minimum size of 1192 x 220.
- Maximum 4MB.
- Appears as 1400 x 245 pixels.
- Image types include: PNG, JPG or GIF.
You can use this LinkedIn company cover photo template from Breanna Tillman: Download the LI company cover.
Linkedin social media cheat sheet infographic
Pin the Linkedin social media cheat sheet, and read on.
Linkedin social media images Table
|LINKEDIN IMAGE||DIMENSIONS||APPEARS (Height Scaled)||MAXIMUM FILE SIZE||FILE FORMAT|
|Personal Profile Image||400 * 400||500 * 500||8Mb||PNG, JPG, GIF|
|Personal Background Image||1584 * 396||1400 * 425||4Mb||PNG, JPG, GIF|
|Company Logo Image||300 * 300||110 * 100||4Mb||PNG, JPG, GIF|
|Square Logo||60 * 60||60 * 60||2Mb||PNG, JPG, GIF|
|Company Cover Image||1536 * 768||1400 * 425||4Mb||PNG, JPG, GIF|
|Banner Image||646 * 220||646 * 220||2Mb||PNG, JPG, GIF|
|Hero Image||1536 * 768||varies between desktop and mobile||2Mb||PNG, JPG, GIF|
|Shared Link||1104 * 736||552 * 289||PNG, JPG, GIF|
|Shared Image||1104 * 736||varies between desktop and mobile||PNG, JPG, GIF|
|Company Photos||900 * 600||900 * 600||PNG, JPG, GIF|
Twitter Page image sizes 2020
Twitter Image Guidelines
- Square Image recommended 400 x 400 pixels.
- Maximum file size 2 MB.
- Image types include: JPG, GIF or PNG.
- Recommended 1,500 x 500 pixels.
- Maximum file size of 5 MB.
- Image types include: JPG, GIF or PNG.
- Minimum to appear expanded 440 x 220 pixels (a 2:1 ratio)
- Recommended aspect ratio is 16:9.
- Can tweet up to 4 images at one time.
- Can edit images if tweeting from Twitter iOS or Android app.
- Maximum to appear expanded 1024 x 512 pixels.
- Appears in stream collapsed at 506 x 253 pixels on desktop.
- Maximum file size of 5 MB for photos, and 5 MB for animated GIFs on mobile and 15 MB on web.
Twitter social media cheat sheet infographic
Pin the Twitter social media cheat sheet for images sizes, and read on.
Twitter social media image sizes Table
|TWITTER IMAGE||DIMENSIONS||MIN DIMENSIONS||IMAGE SCALE||MAX FILE SIZE||IMAGE FORMATS|
|Profile Photo||400 * 400||200 * 200||1:1||2MB||JPG, GIF, PNG|
|Header Photo||1500 * 500||3:1||5MB||JPG, GIF, PNG|
|In-Stream Photo||506 * 253||400 * 220||5MB||JPG, GIF, PNG|
|Twitter Card Image||1200 * 628||1.91:1||JPG, GIF, PNG|
Pinterest Page image sizes 2020
Pinterest has confirmed that Pins taller than 2.1 times their width are now cropped in the feed. They recommend 600 x 1260 as the tallest proportion for Pins. However, taller Pins will still be viewable in full when clicked.
Pinterest’s recommended sizes are 600 x 600, 600 x 900, and 600 x 1260.
You can still use your favourite width, and keep Pin dimensions by using these ratios:
- 1:1 or square
- 1:1.5 or slightly tall
- 1:2.1 or moderately tall
- Tall as you like, but will be cropped in feed
Pinterest is recommending 2:3 proportion as optimal, e.g. 600 x 900 pixels.
Pinterest board covers are SQUARE. I recommend 600 x 600.
However, if you use the Showcase feature, you’ll want to make sure you make them at least 340 x 340.
Note: Few Pinners look at profiles and boards, so covers aren’t a necessity.
- Pinterest Profile Photo size: 180 x 180 or larger.
- Maximum pin width when clicked: 564.
- Board cover: suggested minimum 340 x 340.
- Minimum image size that can be pinned: 100 x 200.
Pinterest Social Media Cheat Sheet 2020
Pinterest Image Guidelines
Profile Picture: 165 x 165
- Appears at 165 x 165 pixels on home page.
- Appears at 32 x 32 pixels on the rest of Pinterest.
- Maximum 10 MB (wouldn’t allow me to upload anything larger).
- Image types include: JPG and PNG for profile pictures.
- 222 x 150 pixels (large thumbnail)
- 55 x 55 (smaller thumbnail)
Pinterest Social Media Cheat Infographic
Pin the Pinterest social media cheat sheet for images sizes, and read on.
Find more information in the Pinterest Help Center.
Instagram image sizes 2020
Did you know that Instagram posts are no longer restricted to square?
However, your images will still be cropped to a square ratio on your profile page gallery.
Instagram Image Guidelines
Profile Picture: 110 x 110
- Appear on your profile at 110 x 110 pixels.
- Square photo: make sure to maintain an aspect ratio of 1:1.
Photo Thumbnails: 161 x 161
- The thumbnails will appear on the page at 161 x 161 pixels.
- Square photo: make sure to maintain an aspect ratio of 1:1 ratio.
Photo Size: 1080 x 1080
- The size of Instagram images has been increased to 1080 x 1080 pixels.
- Instagram still scales these photos down to 612 x 612 pixels.
- Appear in feed at 510 x 510 pixels.
- Square or rectangle photos: make sure to maintain an aspect ratio between 1.91:1 and 4:5 ratio.
- For portrait (4:5) photos, recommended dimensions are 1080 x 1350 pixels.
- Smaller featured header images appear as 204 x 204 pixels, and larger featured header images appear as 409 x 409 pixels.
Instagram Stories: 1080 x 1920
- Recommended resolution is 1080 x 1920.
- Minimum resolution is 600 x 1067.
- Aspect ratio is 9:16.
- Max file size is 4GB.
Pin the Instagram social media cheat sheet for images sizes, and read on.
YouTube image sizes 2020
YouTube Image Guidelines 2020
Channel Profile Image: 800 x 800
- Recommended 800 x 800 pixels.
- Displays as 98 x 98 pixels.
- Image types: JPG, GIF, BMP or PNG.
Channel Cover Photo: 2,560 x 1,440
- Recommended 2560 x 1440 pixels.
- Safe area for mobile and web (without text and logo cropping) 1546 x 423 pixels.
- Maximum file size: 4MB.
- Image types: JPG, GIF, BMP or PNG.
- Tablet display: 1,855 x 423.
- Mobile display: 1,546 x 423.
- TV display: 2,560 x 1,440.
- Desktop: 2,560 x 423 (1,546 x 423 pixels are always visible). Flexible Area (may be visible): 507 pixels to the left and 507 pixels to the right of the safe area.
Video Uploads: 1280 x 720 (Minimum HD)
- Videos must maintain a 16:9 aspect ratio.
- In order to qualify as full HD, your dimensions must be at least 1,280 x 720 pixels.
Pin the YouTube social media cheat sheet for images sizes, and read on.
Find more information in the YouTube Help Center.
Tumblr image sizes 2020
Although most themes are different, the most common image size seems to be 500 and 400 width posts.
However, the dashboard feed is resized to 540.
Size limitations have also risen to 10MB for pictures, and supposedly 3MB for animated .gif images.
Tumblr has implemented a “dashboard pop-over” with a header, which works both as a mobile theme and allows desktop users to have a quick glance at a blog without leaving the dashboard. The header displays at “various sizes” with an aspect ratio of 16:9. Generally, it displays at 1240 x 700 for desktop browsers but is optimized at 640 × 360 for mobile.
(It can also display animated gif images with the same size restrictions as posts. From my personal experience, however, I can’t get any header to animate if it’s larger than 1.5MB.)
It’s also worth noting that users who choose to keep the default theme show the same header at 3000 x 1055 on their blog, and displays posts with a width of 540.
Tumblr Image Guidelines 2020
Profile Picture: 128 x 128
- Minimum 128 x 128 pixels.
- Image types include: JPG, GIF, PNG or BMP.
Image Posts: 500 x 750
- Dash image sizes max at 1,280 x 1,920, and show in feeds at 500 x 750.
- Images can’t exceed 10MB.
- Animated GIFS must be under 3MB and max at 540 pixels (although some instances allow more width depending on GIF size).
Summary of Social Media Cheat Sheet Image Sizes 2020
The Ultimate Social Media Cheat Sheet 2020 Short Version
The data mentioned in this post was gathered from the following sources: