Looking for the latest social media statistics? Do you want to find out which social media site and app are the most popular in 2018?
It doesn’t matter whether you’re building a presentation, a pitch, or you’re just plain curious, these social media statistics will help you gather the details you need.
All the data here is regularly updated, but I will generate a new post for each year, and then also do some comparisons.
Based on the statistics, I’ve also ranked each social media network based on the data.
Bonus: Grab the full infographic at the bottom of this post to share on your site!
To make it super easy for you here’s a convenient Table of Contents so that you can quickly navigate to the stats that you’re looking for:
- Facebook statistics
- YouTube statistics
- Instagram statistics
- WhatsApp statistics
- Google+ statistics
- Twitter statistics
- Snapchat statistics
- Reddit statistics
- LinkedIn statistics
- Pinterest statistics
- Tumblr statistics
- Periscope statistics
If you find anything in this article that is outdated or inaccurate and you can provide a credible source, please let me know in the comments section.
So now let’s take a look at the figures.
Facebook was founded by Mark Zuckerberg and launched in 2004. During it’s creation, Facebook was only initially limited to Harvard students. However, as it became popular it was promoted to other Universities and then to anyone over 13 years old.
Fast forward to the present day and Facebook has become the largest social network in the world.
Moreover, Facebook is the benchmark for what is possible.
First of all, let’s take a look at the size of Facebook through the social media statistics:
- As of April 2018, Facebook reports an estimated 2.2 billion Monthly Active Users.
- Facebook claims it has 1.4 billion Daily Active Users.
- On average over 300 million photos uploaded to Facebook every day.
- Each day, 5 Facebook accounts are created every second.
- Almost 30% of Facebook users are aged between 25 and 34 years.
- An astonishing 8 billion videos are viewed per day.
Most of these stats I found are taken from Facebook’s quarterly reports and the Facebook Newsroom.
YouTube was created by Steve Chen, Chad Hurley and Jawed Karim in 2005. First of all, YouTube is the second biggest search engine, that means a lot of people use it.
Second, it’s ranked number two, which makes it a great place to market your business.
What so incredible is the size and scale of YouTube as you can see in their social media statistics:
- YouTube has more than 1.5 billion logged-in visits every month.
- On average people spend 1 hour per day watching YouTube videos.
- A whopping 300 hours of video are uploaded every minute on YouTube.
- Globally there are over 5 billion video views each day.
- Each day, YouTube are has over 30 million.
- The average visit on YouTube lasts for around 40 minutes.
Instagram was created Mike Krieger and Kevin Systrom in 2010. Initially, it was mainly designed to help people share photos and videos, both publicly and privately. As a result of early success, it was acquired by Facebook in 2012.
In a short time, 8 years, Instagram has become one of the biggest social media sites. Take a look at these amazing Instagram statistics:
- Instagram has over 800 million monthly active users.
- Since 2010, the year it was founded, more than 40 billion photos have been shared.
- There are more than 500 million daily active users.
- On average, 95 million photos are uploaded on Instagram each day.
- Over 4.2 billion likes are given every day.
- The majority of Instagram users are between 18 to 29 years of age. Interestingly, over 32% of Instagram users are college students.
Most of these statistics were found on the Instagram Press page.
WhatsApp is an instant and secure messaging application. It was founded by Jan Koum and Brian Acton in 2009 and later bought by Facebook in 2014.
Eleven years in and the 11 years and you can see it has become a dominant force in communications and social. Whatsapp social media statistics:
- WhatsApp has approximately 700 million monthly active users.
- The latest figures show there are over one billion registered users.
- Whatsapp has a global reach and is used in over 109 countries.
- There are 320 million daily active users on WhatsApp.
- Currently, over 1 million people register on WhatsApp daily.
- A massive 42 billion texts are sent and 1.6 billion photos sent through WhatsApp daily.
This data was sourced through a number of different sources.
Google plus is a social network created by Google. Initially launched in 2011, it was designed to compliment all of Google’s products. Despite sceptics, it is still used and has an active user base.
After 7 years it has some significant social media statistics:
- Currently, there are over 395 million monthly active users on Google+.
- Google Plus is estimated to have over 2 billion registered users globally.
- 28% of Google Plus users are aged between 15 and 34 years.
- The United States accounts for over 55% of all users.
- 73.7% of the users are male, 26.3% are female.
- It is estimated that on average, a Google+ user spends between 3 minutes and 46 seconds per visit.
These social media statistics were taken from the official Google Blog as well as many other third-party research and data studies.
Twitter was founded in March of 2006 by Jack Dorsey, Biz Stone and Evan Williams. Initally it was created as an experiment in messaging. Fast forward 12 years and it is a global phenomenon.
In Twitter’s own words:
[Twitter is] what’s happening in the world and what people are talking about right now.
After 12 years, Twitter has some significant social media statistics:
- Total registered users on Twitter is estimated to be 1.3 billion.
- There are an estimated 330 million monthly active users.
- The United States accounts for approximately 70 million.
- The number of Twitter daily active users is approximately 100 million.
- Nearly 460,000 new twitter accounts are registered every day.
- The total number of Tweets per day is more than 140 million.
- The average Twitter user has 208 followers.
- 550 million accounts are reported to have at least sent a tweet.
Most of these figures are taken from the Twitter Q3 2017 Earnings Report.
Snapchat is a multimedia mobile application which was created by Bobby Murphy, Evan Spiegel and Reggie Brown in 2011.
It started as a private messaging app that gave users the ability to create “snaps” or messages that would self-destruct (be automatically deleted) after being viewed. Unlike all the other social media apps and networks in which you had to manually delete posts you’ve shared.
For many, this was empowering because they didn’t have to worry about sending something that they’d regret years down the road.
For others, it just seemed like a breeding ground for sexting and “unscrupulous” behavior that people wanted to hide.
When Snap, Inc. became a publicly traded company, it decided to evolve into calling itself a “camera company.” Very few people understand that decision.
In that short 7 years, here’s what the mobile messaging app has accomplished by way of user stats:
- Snapchat has approximately 301 million monthly active users.
- Snapchat also reports 178 million daily active users.
- Of those daily active users, 77 million are from the United States.
- 60% of these snapchat users are aged between 18 and 34 years.
- Snapchat is competing closely with its rival, Facebook, by reporting more than 10 billion video views daily.
- Approximately 3 billion snaps are created every day.
- Snapchat users aged 25 years and above spent an average of 20 minutes on snapchat daily while those below 25 years spent on average 30 minutes.
- It’s estimated that it would take you more than 950 years to watch all snaps made in a day.
Most of the data was found in the recent Snap, Inc. Q3 Report, which you’re welcome to read as well. I wouldn’t recommend it–unless you’re literally read everything else there is to be read on the internet first.
Reddit is a discussion and web content rating website. It was founded by Alexis Ohanian and Steve Huffman from the University of Virginia in 2005.
And while it isn’t receiving anywhere near as much press buzz, it is a thriving and vibrant community of people. Many of them total trolls, but hey, trolls are people too.
It’s also been known to completely tank websites by sending enormous, and unsustainable amounts of web traffic when things hit the front page. So, be sure to use it for your own blog posts with caution.
In the 13 years it’s been around, it has accomplished the following:
- Reddit has approximately 274 million monthly active users.
- It also boasts a solid 330 million registered users.
- There have been more than 853,000 sub-reddits.
- It has more than 50,000 active communities.
- On average, there are 25 million votes on Reddit daily.
- Monthly Reddit page-views total to 8 billion.
- The average time length of reddit visit is 13 minutes.
LinkedIn is a professional networking service that was founded in 2002 but later launched in 2003.
It is officially the oldest social network on this list.
And although it is the oldest, it’s definitely struggled to grow its user base over the years. This is mostly due to the professional nature of the network.
It started as a place to simply keep your resume updated and didn’t really turn into a full-on social network until Facebook was well into its prime.
Since launching 15 years ago, it can boast the following user stats:
- LinkedIn has over 546 million registered users of which 133 million are from USA.
- It is estimated that LinkedIn has approximately 200 million monthly active users.
- At least 2 new member’s register on LinkedIn each second which comes out to 5.26 million new accounts per month.
- There are over 20 million registered company pages on LinkedIn.
- Of all the users, 57% are male whereas 43% of the users are females.
LinkedIn has always been a bit cryptic in releasing usage statistics, but a few of the above points can be found on their About page.
Pinterest is a mobile application that enables you to find information on the World Wide Web. It was founded by Evan Sharp, Ben Silbermann and Paul Sciarra in 2010.
It took some time for Pinterest to get on the social media marketing map, but it eventually showed itself to be a very powerful traffic driver.
While it developed a strong reputation for being mostly used by women, men have begun flocking to the network, probably thanks to Jeff Sieh at Manly Pinterest Tips.
In its 8 years, it has achieved the following milestones:
- Pinterest has 200 million monthly active users.
- 70 million of it’s active users are from the United States.
- The total number of Pinterest pins is more than 100 billion.
- The total number of Pinterest boards are approximately 1 billion.
- In a day, Pinterest is visited by 2 million users who save shopping pins on their boards.
Some of these stats were found on the official Pinterest Blog while others had to be sourced through third-party data studies.
This is a micro-blogging and social networking website which was launched in 2007 by David Carp.
You won’t typically see Tumblr included in social media statistics because many people may think of it as a “blogging” platform. However, I believe it absolutely fits into the realm of social networks and should be counted.
It’s gone through a lot of evolutions, acquisitions, and changes, but it has stuck around for a long time. It’s also developed a unique culture of users.
In its 11 years, it has accomplished the following user milestones:
- Tumblr has more than 158 billion published posts.
- There are approximately 396 million blogs.
- On average, 1.1 billion posts are published monthly.
- There are approximately 7.2 million new blogs created each month.
- Approximately 46% of Tumblr visitors are aged between 18 and 34 years.
- Of all the visitors, 52% are male and 48% female.
Of all the listed sites, Tumblr seems to be the most transparent as this data was pretty easy to get.
Periscope is a live video streaming app that was created by Joe Bernstein and Kayvon Beykpour and launched in 2015. Periscope was subsequently purchased by Twitter in 2015.
In just 3 years, Periscope has accomplished the following social media statistics:
- Periscope hosts over 9.3 million live streams monthly.
- Periscope has over 10 million registered users.
- There are now approximated to be 1.9 million daily active users.
- Around 1.2 million people use the Android app.
- In total, there have been 200 million broadcasts on periscope to date.
- On average, 350,000 hours of videos are streamed every day.
Twitter doesn’t reveal many of Periscope’s usage stats, but you can dig through their quarterly reports and get some interesting info.
Social Media Statistics Infographic
That is a lot of social media statistics.
use the large Social Media Statistics Infographic below on your blogs or share freely.
If you’d like to embed this infographic on your own website, just copy the code below:
<a href="https://www.reachconvertgrow.com/social-media-statistics/" target="_blank"><img src="//300495-920223-raikfcquaxqncofqfm.stackpathdns.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/Social-Media-Statistics.jpg" alt="Social Media Statistics 2018 Infographic" /></a><br /><em>Image courtesy of <a href="https://www.reachconvertgrow.com" target="_blank">Reach Convert Grow</a></em>
Summary of Social Media Stats
A few important points when you use social media.
You know what really matters?
How many people are you engage with and how relevant you are to what they need and what problems you help them solve.
As an example, if nobody on Facebook is interested in your stories you’re sharing (or you can’t reach them)— there is no value in that network.
If there’s anything I’ve learned from working with a diverse set of clients, it’s this— target market trumps mass market.
So when you’re considering putting time, energy and resources into your social media marketing don’t get caught up in the numbers e.g. followers, focus on engagement metrics.
If you need help deciding where your time and effort is best spent on social media, you can always contact me.
And also, if you have any interesting social media statistics you’d like to add, just throw them in the comments along with your source and I’ll take a look at adding them.